Saturday, September 15, 2007

Banana Halwa



For a long time before I started this blog, I used to spend a lot of time reading all these blogs which are now so familiar. Drool over the pictures, sternly make up my mind that I will make this that and the other.
One of the recipes which caught my eye a long time ago was Banana Halwa which I saw in Indira's blog here. Knowing how much I love banana in any form, I was determined to try it for a longest while, but as usual just sat on it. I think this where all these food blogging events come in really handy. One gets down to things just because there is a date by which it has to be submitted.



Finally, today went and picked up the Nendram Pazham and got down to it.
This was an easy enough recipe - very simple and straight forward. I had to tweak it a bit because I did not have a couple of the ingredients. But I have to say the end product did not suffer because of this fact. It was delicious, not too rich and just what I need after my lunch. I have an extremely sweet tooth and this fitted the job to a T.

This is my entry to JFI : Bananas hosted by Mandira of Ahaar

Now for the recipe which I used:


Ingredients:

2 nendram pazham
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons all purpose flour mixed in 1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons ghee
1 teaspoon cardamom powder

( I missed the lemon juice and cashewnuts as I did not have them handy. Lemon juice may have added that tang and clarified the sugar syrup, I am not sure. Cashews are only a garnish anyway. Also, I used far less ghee than what the original recipe called for as I wanted to watch the calories)


Method:

Peel , deseed the Banana fruit. Cut into small chunks.
Pressure cook for about 3 whistles and then when cool, mash in the mixie.
Heat the sugar along with the water. Cook till it reaches a one string consistency.
Mix in the mashed banana till well blended.
After is is a homogenous mass, add the flour / water mixture. Cook again till it looks well cooked. Slowly add the ghee little by little.
Finally add the cardamom powder and cashewnut if using.
Serve. And enjoy the compliments




8 comments:

Finla said...

Yum a excelent entry fro the event.
Halwa looks delicious.

FH said...

Delicious entry for JFI, looks gorgeous:)

amna said...

lovely entry.

btw, are u a harry potter fan? i just finished reading order of the phoenix :D going to start the next book from monday!

Kamini said...

Thanks Happy.

Asha, It was as delicious as it looks.

Nags, I have not read any of them. Been wanting to start. MY sons are forcing me cos they are huge fans.

Siri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Siri said...

Hey Kamini,

Thanks : both for the recipe and letting me know about JFI : Banana event. Strangely, I didn't know about it... and the dish looks so fab..

Sharmi said...

thats new and delicious looking. have to try this!!

mb said...

Kamini, I also saw this on Indira's site a while back and was thinking of making it! Thanks for the great entry for JFI :) - Mandira